Another day, another step closer to the beginning of the 2014 Husker football season. Unfortunately, it was also another practice, another injury, so the “Days With A Season-Ending Injury” may go back down to zero.
Here’s what went down:
- Kevin Williams was injured and down on the field for a couple of minutes. No specifics were given following practice.
- Strangely, there’s been absolutely no mention of long snapper Gabriel Miller’s status. Backup Josh Faulkenberry and safety Nathan Gerry have been splitting reps in his absence.
- Fullback Andy Janovich, tight end Greg Hart, and offensive tackle Zach Sterup are still out, reported as a coin flip for the opener against Florida Atlantic according to Bo Pelini.
- Running back Terrell Newby, wide receiver Brandon Reilly, offensive guard Jake Cotton and tight end Sam Cotton all returned.
- Tommy Armstrong looked better today, but still struggled with consistency.
- Tim Beck after practice on Armstrong:
He seemed to really step his game up, much more crisp in the passing game, much more decisive in the running game, read and option games. I saw a little extra gear in him, separating himself a little bit.
- After being relegated to the No. 3 offense, Johnny Stanton returned to work with the second unit.
- Beck commented on the potential backups saying:
We are still evaluating that right now. I am really still evaluating all of them at this point. Tommy has been doing some really good things, Ryker and Johnny both had a good day today. They all possess some things that make them pretty good players.
- Newby looked like his old self, so he’s likely back at the No. 3 spot behind Ameer Abdullah and Imani Cross.
- Wide receivers have been struggling to bring in passes.
- Offensive tackle Matt Finnin was given a day with the No. 1 unit while Givens Price worked with the No. 2 group.
— Tom Dienhart (@BTNTomDienhart) August 18, 2014
- The kicking competition appears to be alive and well with Mauro Bondi nailing another long one, this time from 57 yards.
- Punter Sam Foltz also had himself a banner day, nailing a punt that went a distance of approximately 65-70 yards.
- Some BTN Interviews:
Defensive end Randy Gregory:
Wide receiver Kenny Bell:
Offensive coordinator Tim Beck:
Defensive coordinator John Papuchis:
Be sure to like Husker Corner on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, snag the FanSided app (iOS) (Android) and subscribe to our newsletter below to keep plugged into Husker Nation from all over the globe.
Tags: Nebraska Cornhuskers