Friday Notes From Husker Practice.

facebooktwitterreddit

The media had not talked to Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini since Nov. 25 after the win against Iowa.

Since then, the Huskers have lost a defensive coordinator, and made it to a bowl game. So this interview was expected by many to determine who would replace Carl Pelini as defensive coordinator and see which players would be eligible for the Capital One Bowl.

After less than four minutes we learned that Bo Pelini knows what he wants, and he is the only person he wants to know it.

Pelini said he has an idea of what he wants in a coach, he just doesn’t feel it is the right time to discuss it.

“I have a pretty good idea of what I’d do if we lose a coach and obviously I’ll implement the plan when I’m ready to do it,” Pelini said. “I’ve had a lot of things and I’ve been getting pulled in a lot of different directions. I’ll handle it in time and I’ll announce it when the time is right.”

Pelini had been on the road making in-home visits to recruits over the past week, and just got back to Lincoln on Friday. He came back to a couple off the field issues that needed to be address he just did not want to address them to the media. Senior center Mike Caputo was cited with a DUI last weekend, followed by junior Eric Martin being in a hit and run accident just a few days after.

“All the discipline I do is handled internally,” Pelini said. “I make the decision that’s first of all in the best interest of our program, second of all in the best interest of each kid. I handle each situation separately and differently and look at the facts and make the decision that’s right.”

He did say the reason he has not made a decision on Caputo is that there are a lot of dynamics that are different from previous players who have been cited for DUI. Baker Steinkuhler, and safety Rickey Thenarse both were suspended from last years Holiday Bowl for driving under the influence.

“All the discipline I do is handled internally,” Pelini said. “I make the decision that’s first of all in the best interest of our program, second of all in the best interest of each kid. I handle each situation separately and differently and look at the facts and make the decision that’s right.”

#No More

Bo Pelini told his players over the weekend that Twitter has been banned until further notice. Most Husker fans found out this information on Twitter ironically. A lot of coaches around the nation have started this trend before “Bowl Week. None more famously than the “Ol’ Ball Coach” at South Carolina.

“I’m sick and tired of reading things that shouldn’t be out there on Twitter, so temporarily I took it away from them” Pelini said.

Over 30 Nebraska players had active Twitter accounts until the ban.

Things To Note About Friday’s Practice

Nebraska started their game preparation for South Carolina. Pelini feels like the Game Cocks present a real challenge for his team.

“They’re a good football team and they’re well coached,” Pelini said. “They’re talented and they’ll be a real challenge for our team.”

The most interesting thing to note was on the sideline at practice. Edwardsville, Illinois defensive tackle Vincent Valentine  was in Lincoln on Friday taking his official visit. He did not speak to the media.

Nebraska will practice Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday and then players will be dismissed for holiday break. Players will return to Lincoln on Dec. 25, and leave for Orlando the following day.

-By Jimmie Allen 

Photo provided by the associated press.