Big Ten Power Rankings Week 6
1. Ohio State Buckeyes- The Buckeyes stay at number one this week after winning a tight ball game at home against a pretty good Wisconsin squad. This week the Buckeyes face their first true road test as they travel to Evanston, IL to face the Northwestern Wildcats in a top 20 matchup. The Buckeyes have the opportunity to erase the doubters this week.
Next Game: Saturday October 5 @ Northwestern 8:00 PM ET (ABC)
2. Northwestern Wildcats- The Wildcats were idle last week from the Big Ten slate. This week they will host the Ohio State Buckeyes in the prime-time spotlight. If the Wildcats are truly Legends division favorites this is a game they can prove that.
Next Game: Saturday October 5 vs. Ohio State 8:00 PM ET (ABC)
3. Michigan Wolverines- The Wolverines had a bye last week. This week they begin conference play against the Minnesota Golden Gophers in the Battle for the Little Brown Jug. The question with the Wolverines is will they play up to the Legends Division Champion caliber or will they once again play down to their opponent?
Next Game: Saturday October 5 vs. Minnesota 3:30 PM ET (ABC)
4. Wisconsin Badgers- The Badgers are coming off a narrow defeat against Ohio State at the Horseshoe this past Saturday night. The Badgers are idle this week before they return to the gridiron to host Northwestern in two weeks.
Next Game: Saturday October 12 vs. Northwestern 3:30 PM ET (ABC)
5. Nebraska Cornhuskers- The Cornhuskers were idle last week. This week they open up Big Ten play against the Illinois Fighting Illini at home in Lincoln. With two weeks to prepare for this one the Huskers should be ready. We will see what adjustments Nebraska’s defense has made.
Next Game: Saturday October 5 vs. Illinois Noon ET (ESPNU)
6. Iowa Hawkeyes- The Hawkeyes opened up conference play this past weekend with dominating performance against Minnesota. Before the season everyone knew that they would have a formidable defense, but against Minnesota they showed us that they are improving offensively each and every game. This week the Hawkeyes host the Michigan State Spartans in what figures to be a defensive battle with two great defenses. .
Next Game: Saturday October 5 vs. Michigan State Noon ET (ESPN2)
7. Michigan State Spartans- The Spartans were idle last week. This week they travel to Iowa City to face the Hawkeyes. The Spartans have a great chance to get a good jump start in the Legends Division race. With a loss it may be an uphill battle. The question is the same as most weeks, will the Michigan State offense show up?
Next Game: Saturday October 5 @ Iowa Noon ET (ESPN2)
8. Penn State Nittany Lions- The Nittany Lions also had a bye last week. This week they return to the field to face the Indiana Hoosiers in Bloomington, IN. The Nittany Lions are still ineligible for postseason games, but they still have an impact on who wins the Leaders Division.
Next Game: Saturday October 5 @ Indiana Noon ET (BTN)
9. Illinois Fighting Illini- The Fighting Illini dominated Miami (OH) this past week to finish up non-conference play. With that victory they improved on last year’s win total by one game. This week they begin conference play as they travel to face Nebraska in Lincoln. It won’t be easy by any means, but they have a chance to show the rest of the Big Ten that they’re a legitimate opponent this season.
Next Game: Saturday October 5 @ Nebraska Noon ET (ESPNU)
10. Minnesota Golden Gophers- The Gophers are coming off a demoralizing loss to Iowa this past week. The good news is that it’s a new week with hope. The bad news is that they must travel to The Big House in Ann Arbor, MI to face the Michigan Wolverines. If the trend of the Wolverines playing down to their opponent continues then maybe the Gophers can stun some people.
Next Game: Saturday October 5 @ Michigan 3:30 PM ET (ABC)
11. Indiana Hoosiers- The Hoosiers had a bye last week. This week they host the Penn State Nittany Lions. The Hoosiers are 2-2 right now so a good start to conference play could do wonders with momentum and maybe give them that extra push they need to make a bowl game this season. The same question will apply this week as with most and that is will there defense be able to contain the opposition.
Next Game: Saturday October 5 vs. Penn State Noon ET (BTN)
12. Purdue Boilermakers- The Boilermakers are idle this week and boy do need it after getting shellacked by the MAC’s Northern Illinois. After the bye it doesn’t get much easier as they host Nebraska in two weeks.
Next Game: Saturday October 12 vs. Nebraska Noon ET (BTN)