Yesterday the Nebraska Cornhuskers defeated the Illinois Fighting Illini 39-19 at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, NE. Here are Studs and Duds, which features players who had positive and negative impact on the game.
1. Ameer Abdullah- Ameer was outstanding yesterday.. He had 225 yards rushing (a new career high) on 20 carries with two touchdowns. Ameer erased doubters this week after a couple of games with fumbles. He once again proved why he is the go to back in this offense.
2. Tommy Armstrong Jr.- Armstrong played another good game. He threw for two scores and broke out a few runs. In doing so he once again showed us what he brings to the table if Taylor Martinez can’t go. Even with the gusty weather he was real accurate.
3. Randy Gregory- Gregory continues to shine on the defensive line. He had a couple of sacks and he made plenty of huge tackles preventing big gains for the Illini. If there was a defensive MVP for this game it was Gregory.
1. Imani Cross- Cross has not been on this list this season yet, but this was one of his worse performances as a Husker. He did score a touchdown but he put the ball on the ground twice and he caused a safety. As a running back he must have the awareness to run north and south in that section of the field instead of east and west.
2. Pat Smith- Call what you want to call it but with the wind or without it there is no excuse for missing an extra point. Coach Pelini said it himself after the game. This is Smith’s second miss of the year.
3. David Santos- This may have been the best effort by the defense thus far but tackling is still a major problem. Santos struggled to wrap up Josh Ferguson the entire game. If the Huskers are going to become a more fundamentally sound unit on defense then Santos and others will have to wrap up better.