The Nebraska Cornhuskers are finished with their non conference schedule and are gearing up for another run at a Legends Division Championship. Here are five keys to a successful Big Ten season.
1) Make Open Field Tackles: This has been the Achilles heel of Nebraska’s defense over the past two years. Missed tackles have to stop in order for the Huskers to win football games. The remaining schedule consists of teams that know the blueprint of beating Nebraska. If the Huskers want a chance for a trip to Indianapolis this season they need to wrap up and tackle.
2) Play Within The System: This applies to both sides of the ball, but defensively this team lacks discipline. Either the team needs to learn how to play within the scheme or they have to change it.
3) Win The Turnover Battles: Nebraska still has issues holding on to the ball. Fumbles are all too common, and at some point this team is going to have to stop relying on an interception per game from Stanley Jean Baptiste. If the Huskers want to win their second straight division title they have to keep turnovers to a minimum.
4) Play With Confidence: The Nebraska Cornhuskers have great athletes with speed and power. At times they look like they lack confidence. It could be because they aren’t comfortable with their assignments or it could be due to youth on the defensive side of the ball. When it comes to the Husker offense, they played great last weekend. If they can continue that production with Taylor Martinez behind center, they will be fine.
5) Play Four Full Quarters Of Football: We have seen Nebraska put together solid quarters and a solid half, but all to often they do not play four quarters of quality football. They might grab a big early lead and then coast, fall behind and give up, or they might be so afraid of giving up a lead that they actually blow it. Nebraska has to give everything they have for a full four quarters if they have any chance of getting through their Big Ten schedule.