5 Keys To A Nebraska Cornhuskers Victory
1) Contain UCLA Quarterback Brett Hundley: If Nebraska wants to win they will have to keep Brett Hundley in check. The duel threat quarterback burned the Huskers last year in Pasadena and will again if they cant keep him in the pocket. Blitzing could be effective but the Blackshirts might be better served letting their front four get penetration and letting the linebackers make plays.
2) The Defensive Backs Can’t Blow Coverage: The Huskers cannot afford to allow UCLA big plays. Ciante Evans, Corey Cooper, and Stanley Jean Baptiste will need to stay with their receivers. Brett Hundley will make Nebraska pay if they can’t stay disciplined.
3) Air It Out: The weakness of UCLA’s defense is their secondary. One of Nebraska’s strengths is their high powered wide receivers. Taylor Martinez should have a field day in choosing which one of those weapons he wants to get the ball to. The Huskers should throw first and run second just to keep the Bruins honest.
4) Open Field Tackles: Missed tackles cost Nebraska a win against the Bruins last year. There is no doubt that UCLA will get the ball in space, the Huskers have to make sure that they can wrap the ball carrier up. It’s basic fundamentals that will help or hurt Nebraska’s chances at taking the Bruins out on Saturday.
5) Limit Penalties: Nebraska will need to score between 35 and 42 points in order to beat UCLA. Penalties kill offensive drives or allow the opponent to keep possession. The Huskers need to play smart football and not shoot themselves in the foot. There is no room for error this week.