Nebraska Cornhuskers vs Southern Miss Golden Eagles: Huskers Keys To Victory
1) Open Up The Playbook: Tim Beck was way to conservative with his play calling last weekend against Wyoming. For Nebraska to be successful against Southern Miss on Saturday, he needs to open up the playbook. Getting Kenny Bell, Jamal Turner, Quincy Enunwa, and others involved will be key.
2) Run Taylor Run: Taylor Martinez ran the ball last week, but most of those were not designed plays. Martinez needs to utilize his biggest weapon for the Huskers to thrive offensively. When he runs effectively everything else opens up for the Huskers. That is why Nebraska’s offense is as high powered as it is. Taylor needs to have a 100 plus yards this weekend.
3) Keep Southern Miss One Dimensional: The Golden Eagles only rushed for a handful of yards last week against Texas State. You should expect them to try to emphasize their run game a bit more against a Nebraska defense that tends to struggle against it. The Huskers need to shut down the Golden Eagles running backs early and force them to throw. If you keep them one dimensional you will be able to focus on coverage.
4) Force Turnovers: Southern Miss had six turnovers last week, which is why they lost to Texas State. If Nebraska can force turnovers they will likely turn them into points on the scoreboard. Get in quarterback Aaron Bridgford’s head early and the game could snowball into a route of Southern Miss.
5) Concentrate On Early Down Stops: Most of the damage done by Wyoming was on first and second down. The Blackshirts seemed to be able to shut down the Cowboys offense just fine once they faced third down situations. The Huskers need to prevent big gains before third down gets arrives. If they can, they will have a much better game in week two.