The Southern Miss Golden Eagles are coming off of an embarrassing 22-15 loss to Texas State last Saturday in Hattiesburg. This weekend they travel to Lincoln to take on The Nebraska Cornhuskers.Here are five Golden Eagles to watch for on Saturday.
1) Quarterback Allan Bridgford: Unlike Wyoming’s Brett Smith, Bridgford is not known for being a duel threat. He likes to drop back and pepper the field with passes. He has a decent arm and will likely look to showcase it against Nebraska on Saturday. While Texas State is not a defensive power, the 377 yards passing Bridgford threw for was impressive. Stanley Jean Baptiste, Corey Cooper, and Ciante Evans will get a workout facing him.
2) Wide Receiver Rickey Bradley: The senior receiver made the most of the first game of the season grabbing seven catches for 193 yards last weekend. He does the things you expect from a good receiver. He has good hands, runs good routes, and can find the endzone. He will be a big part of the Southern Miss offense against the Huskers.
3) Linebacker Alan Howze: Howze was one of the few bright spots for Southern Miss in their loss to Texas State. He led the Golden Eagles with nine tackles, two and a half of those were tackles for loss. The senior from Ocean Springs High School will look to do the same against the run heavy offense of the Cornhuskers.
4) Tyre’oune Holmes, WR: The freshman receiver made a big impression in his first start for the Golden Eagles. He finished the game with 96 yards on 11 catches. He is a fast, shifty receiver who has big play capabilities. Expect to hear his name called several times this weekend.
5) Corey Acosta, K: Southern Miss can move the football, but they have a problem finding the endzone. Acosta went 2 for 3 against Texas State and will probably get several field goal opportunities against the Huskers.